In commercial real estate agency today, most listing opportunities will be competitive events and presentations. You will have other real estate agents leasing the same property at the same time. That being said, your sales pitch or presentation to the client needs to be of the highest quality in every respect.
You will only have a short period of time to get your message and strategy through to the client. Choices will be made from the 30 minutes that you spend with your client pitching for the listing. Why are you the best agent for the job? Give the client the right answer.
In preparing for a property presentation, it is wise to understand the client, the property, and the motivation that puts the property on the market today. Every client will have a story to tell and a requirement to fill. You need to get inside the 'clients head' to identify the ultimate exit required and the best timing that will help them achieve their property goals.
Here are some presentation tips that will help you position yourself for the property listing and to help satisfy the needs of the client:
- Confidence is a significant leverage tool when it comes to winning listings. To build your confidence you really do need to understand the property type, the location, and the available strategies to optimize the inquiry from marketing. You can then match these factors to the client in a confident and relevant way. A generic approach to marketing will not help you win listings.
- A question and answer process will help you get to the main factors and motivations behind the clients requirements in selling or leasing the property. You can improve your strategy through regular practice and role playing. Given that the property market changes throughout the year, the question process will also need to change and adjust to the prevailing market conditions. Share experiences and challenges with your agency colleges to improve the presentations that you are making.
- Your knowledge of the property type will allow you to show your relevance to the client. Give them some specific solutions to achieving higher levels of inquiry and inspections from the marketing effort. Put yourself into the marketing process so that the client feels that your offered solutions are more important than that provided by any other agency.
- In this property market, direct marketing takes preference over generic marketing. The direct marketing approach only applies to exclusive listings. On that basis you should be seeking an exclusive listing for the agency appointment. Make sure that the client understands the differences between open lists and exclusive listings from a marketing perspective. If they are genuine in the sale or leasing process, the choice will be logical and simple.
- Stories connecting to the property type and the overall location will help you in attracting the attention of the client. That will then give you that extra advantage when it comes to converting the listing from the presentation. Choose your stories relative to the property type and the current market conditions, using other clients that have had similar challenges. A prospective client likes to know that they are not alone in handling property challenges.
The property presentation today needs to be well planned. A generic approach will simply not win the lists that you require. Be prepared to be specific and direct with the client using information that will help them make the best choice when it comes to you as a commercial real estate agent.