You may have noticed something new at trade shows and events. Traditional fabric graphics are frequently being replaced by Silicone Edge Graphics (SEG). So what is SEG and what are the benefits?
What is SEG (Silicone Edge Graphics)?
SEG is a high-resolution dye-sublimated fabric graphic finished with a thin silicone strip (or welt / gasket). The silicone strip is sewn directly to the edge of the graphic, and the strip is then inserted into a frame with a recessed groove. The size of the graphic must be precise so the fabric is taut when installed in the frame. The result is a large format graphic that mimics the old fashioned hard panel graphics commonly found on custom displays and interior spaces.
What is Different or Special about SEG?
- Lightweight Fabric . Fabric is lighter and more durable than tradition direct print graphics.
- Versatile . SEG can be used on many SEG aluminum extrusion profiles (including MODUL TSP profiles).
- Dye-Sublimation . Dye-sublimation graphics are durable, vibrant, and lightweight.
- Less Frame . SEG graphics are the perfect choice when more graphic and less frame is desired.
- No Sew Line . Unlike bead or pole pocket fabric graphics, the sew line is hidden within the extrusion providing a more finished look to your exhibition or retail wall display.
What are the Benefits of SEG?
- Storage and Shipping . Fabric is lighter than many other graphics. When folded neatly, fabric graphics take up much less space than traditional direct print graphics.
- Care . Fabric graphics can be washed and steamed and are more durable and long lasting than traditional graphics.
- Lightweight . Larger graphics weigh less, perfect for draping or creating space definition.
- Cost . More image bang for the buck!
- Green . There are the obvious transportation and storage benefits. Even more exciting is the growing list of fabric options created from recycled materials.
- No Glare . Fabric is the perfect choice for media walls or any background that is photographed or filmed.
- Versatility . SEG fabric can be applied to most displays or event structures.
- Less Visible Frame . The silicone edge means you see more graphic and less frame.
Here's a great video from Optima Graphics about how to take a correct measurement for a Silicone Edge Graphic.